Happy Mother’s Day to any mums out there. I’ve spent a fair amount of today with my mum and I’m always reminded how ace she is.
Today for lunch my sister and I prepared a 3 course lunch. Nat served baked camembert with a range of vegetables and breadsticks for starters and then mini sour fruit cheesecakes for pud. I’ve asked for the recipe so watch this space!
My part was the main course. I made 16 meatballs and served them on spaghetti with a sweet pepper sauce.
Sweet pepper sauce
4 sweet peppers finely chopped
Half a red onion finely chopped
A tin of chopped tomatoes
1 finely chopped fresh tomato
3 teaspoons of sugar
A sprinkle of dried oregano
A sprinkle of dry basil
3 whole cloves of garlic
The how to…
1) Heat the oil in a saucepan and then add the garlic cloves until softened.
2) Add the onion and sweet pepper and cook until softened.
3) Remove the whole cloves of garlic and add the chopped and fresh tomatoes along with the sugar.
4) Sprinkle in the herbs and leave to simmer.
Ingredients (serves 4)
500g of beef mince
1 beef oxo cube
A tablespoon of tomato puree
The other half of the onion, finely chopped
A finely chopped sweet pepper
1 medium egg
The how to
1) Heat the oven to 180°c. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together with your hands.
2) Form the mixture into a large ball and then from it form 16 meat balls.
3) Chill before frying in oil until they are browned.
4) Pour the sauce into a heat proof dish with a lid and add the meatballs.
5) Place in the oven for around 30 minutes.
6) Serve with spaghetti, parmesan and salad.