Tuesday was my mum’s birthday and we spent the day out and about. First we visited the Lilypie Café. Lilypie was introduced to me by my best friend Queenie. It’s a gorgeous place which does lush paninis for lunch. We then went on to Leeds Castle for a walk.
We’d already cooked a big meal for my mum at the weekend (recipes coming soon) so the remit for Tuesday dinner was something much simpler.
This is my chicken and sweetcorn pasta bake.
Ingredients for 4
400g of diced chicken
1tbsp olive oil
4 chestnut mushrooms diced
1 small tin of sweetcorn
400g of pasta
For the cheese sauce
1tbsp plain flour
Milk (add until it reaches the correct consistency)
Cheese (add to taste)
The how to
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and cook the pasta in a saucepan for however long it says on the packet.
2) Heat the oil in a frying pan and when it is hot add the leek until softened. I’m so used to cooking on a gas hob that using an electric one seemed to take ages to heat up!
3) Add the chicken and fry until it is cooked all the way through.
4) I then added some mixed herbs but this is entirely up to you. Then put the mushrooms and sweetcorn in and leave to simmer.
5) When the pasta is cooked and the mushrooms are cooked enough for you (This was about 10 minutes for me but Queenie doesn’t like soggy mushrooms so vary it for your tastes.) place everything into an oven proof bowl which has a lid.
6) Make the sauce by melting the butter and then adding the flour to form a paste. Add the milk slowly and keep whisking before pouring in the grated cheese and milk until quite a thick consistency is achieved.
7) Pour the sauce over the pasta and chicken mixture and stir in.
8) Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on as you don’t want it to crisp up on top.
9) Serve with fresh bread and salad.
More recipes to follow as well as our Hitchcock themed evening!