It’s been a while WordPress & I have missed you dearly. Not a day goes by where I don’t contemplate posting something, however small.
Work has been busier than ever and 13 hour days have been taking their toll on my sanity. I don’t want to waffle on as I know in this current climate everyone is working harder & for longer. This is just my excuse for not posting anything in a long time.
This weekend was my school’s May Fair. Us teacher’s spend 4 weeks at 30 minutes per week teaching our group (mixed across year groups) a country dancing routine. This year my group performed ‘Wring out the dishrag’ and I need to thank my wonderful husband & our friends Tom & Jo for coming to support on Saturday. I baked some simple cupcakes for the cake stall using my trusted weighing of the eggs first recipe. For this recipe please see previous posts.
I also made a black cherry and chocolate cake for my best friend and her boyfriend’s birthdays. Happy belated birthdays Queenie & Simon. I know Queenie will read this.
5 eggs (weighed to determine the measures of the other ingredients)
Self raising flour
Golden caster sugar
6 tablespoons of milk
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I used Galaxy hot chocolate) Adjust to taste.
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Extra thick double cream (how much depends on your taste)
Black cherry pie filling
The how to
1) Mix the butter & sugar together until smooth using a wooden spoon.
2) Beat the eggs & vanilla extract until combined, don’t overbeat.
3) Add the flour & egg mixture a little at a time to the sugar mixture and stir using a metal spoon.
4) Heat the milk (about 20 seconds on full power) and stir in the cocoa powder before adding to the rest of the mixture.
5) Seperate the mixture between two 8″ cake tins & bake for around 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6) Spread one side of the cooled sponges with the thick double cream before adding the cherries. Place the other sponge on top and decorate with squirty cream. We added black stars to make it look like the cake had eyes (don’t ask why we felt it should have eyes – May madness perhaps)
Combine this with Eurovision, friends & take away Chinese and you have the perfect combination for a Saturday night.
Hopefully there won’t be such a long time between posts next time! I hope you all have wonderfully speedy weeks!