I get married in 2 days & 9 hours time. Obviously I’m really cool, calm & collected & not anxious at all, much… Ever since we hit the 1 week mark I’ve been feeling nervous. Not about whether or not I’m doing the right thing, toasty, warm feet over here, but that things won’t be finished on time. This in itself is ridiculous as I haven’t had to accept any offers for help and this week has been pretty chilled.
Today’s blog post is all about the wedding cake. I’m making my own wedding cake as it would be ridiculous not to! I hired the 3 tins (a 14″, a 12″ & a 10″) from Think Cake which is an independent cake shop in Maidstone. I can’t even begin to tell you how great the shop and staff are. The tins cost £1.50 a night to hire, regardless of size or shape & Sunday nights are free. The tins are great quality & always clean.
Anyway, I could gush all morning about the shop! I bought all the ingredients for £55 in Asda so already under budget. My plan was to make a 14″ square fruit cake, a 12″ square plain sponge and my sister was going to make the 10″ lemon drizzle cake.
We started with the plain sponge as we knew this wouldn’t need as long to cook.
8 eggs (weigh shells on to determine the weight of the other ingredients)
Butter (I swear by Stork SB)
Self raising flour
4 teaspoons vanilla essence
1) Heat the oven to 200°c. Cream the butter & sugar together until light with a metal spoon.
2) Beat the eggs & vanilla essence with a fork until the yolk, whites & vanilla are combined.
3) Sift the flour and pour in the eggs a little at a time to the creamed mixture this time stirring with a metal spoon.
4) Turn the oven down to 180°c. Pour the mixture into the cake tin & cook for 35 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean from the cake)
For the fruitcake layer we followed Delia Smiths fruitcake recipe using the recipe for the largest sized cake as we wanted a cake a lot thinner than a normal fruitcake.
The only things we did differently to the online recipe were substitute the brandy for the juices of the peeled lemons and oranges & omitted the almonds.
The cake cooked for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 140°c and smelled heavenly!
For the lemon drizzle cake my sister used the following. Ingredients
130g Caster sugar
1 lemon (juice & zest)
110g Self raising flour
For the topping
6 tbsp caster sugar
1) Heat the oven to 180°c.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together.
3) Beat the eggs, lemon juice & lemon peel together gently before adding intermitently with the flour.
4) Cook for roughly 25 minutes although check.
5) When the cake is cooked spribkle with the rest of the caster sugar and drizzle with the juice of the 2nd lemon.
I will get photos today!
The second stage will be decorating with these beauties made by a family friend.